Sunday, June 24, 2012

Long Overdue

Okay, so yes I know I'm a horrible person for waiting so long to post this make over, but here it is....FINALLY!!!


This is my less than $10 dollar computer chair makeover!! Yes, I really did this with $10, actually probably a little less. 

So this is what my computer chair looked like before I decided it was an eye sore and needed some help.

Okay, so this literally would have taken me an hour (or less) to do had I not decided to paint on the one day it decided to monsoon. 

I started by taking the chair apart, which was a snap because its a walmart chair, meaning it isn't too complex. I found some fabric squares at walmart in the fabric sections for .97 in a really pretty damask print. I picked up some Krylon spray paint while I was there called blue ocean breeze and a white primer. It's not the exact color of my room in my apartment but I needed an excuse to buy this spray paint!

After I took the chair apart I took it to my boyfriends garage to paint it. Honestly, I should have done it on my patio because he made me paint it in the grass, which was interesting to say the least. 

I sprayed 2 coats of primer on the chair just to be safe and then 2-3 coats of the blue ocean breeze. I made sure to get every nook and cranny possible and the little piece on the back of the back rest too. 


Don't mind those drawers, which coincidentally enough will be making an appearance here as soon as I finish my refinished dresser!!

Because I'm a nervous nilly I decided to leave the chair in the garage instead of chancing getting it wet. So I came home to reupholster the cushions! No wasted time here...except getting it on the blog, oops =/.

Remember the sheers I used in the head board tutorial? Yep, they made an appearance here as well!! The only reason I used them though is because the original fabric was black and I was too scared to take it off for fear of completely ruining the chair. So I stapled a layer to the cushion to make it lighter. Then I applied my fabric. Now, I have to say a fat quarter was more than enough for the top cushion but I could have used a bit more on the bottom cushion. Needless to say, I wont recommend anyone looking at it from the bottom! Oh well, at least I know that for next time. I used a staple gun to staple it to the wood and made sure the screw holes were still open. I popped the plastic piece back on the top cushion and I was done! 


(yes that's my diy head board behind it!)

The next day I brought my chair home and re-screwed the cushions to the chair and I have to say I was overly satisfied with the way it turned out. I was nervous about my fabric/paint choices but I loved them in the end!


This is honestly such a great way to refinish something without spending too much time or money. Some may ask why I didn't just buy a new chair, well there was nothing wrong with this one, I just thought it was ugly! haha =]

No comments:

Post a Comment